Participate in the 2nd Dry Stone Workshop “The Amorgian Craftsmanship”
There is no participation cost, however participants should cover their own expenses (ferry tickets, transportation, accommodation and boarding, except for the light lunch offered during the break on the site).
The Mitato of Amorgos is extremely pleased to announce the 2nd Dry Stone Workshop “The Amorgian Craftsmanship”, taking place from 10 to 14 October 2022 on Amorgos.
Following the great success of the 1nd Dry Stone Workshop in October 2021, which was realised under the auspices of the Municipality of Amorgos and financed by the Ministry of Culture and Sports, the Secretariat-General of the Aegean and Island Policy and the Cyclades Preservation Fund, the continuation of the project is deemed necessary in order to enforce its results and extend the study and practice of dry stone.
The aim of the Workshop is to raise awareness towards the traditional building crafts, water and land use management, as well as to continue the educational process which started in October 2021, with the active involvement of three local stone masons, apprentices, the pupils of Amorgos and participating visitors.
The project will be realised on three axes:
- The restoration works of sustaining walls and the creation of cobblestone path, which will start in the end of September 2022, with preparation works on the site.
- The practical part of the main project, the Dry Stone Workshop held from 10 to 14 October 2022, which will involve the main restoration and construction works. These will be led by three local stone masons and will be implemented with the participation of apprentices and visitors. The pupils of Amorgos will also attend the works, as part of an educational field trip.
- The theoretical part of the main project of the Dry Stone Workshop, with lectures by guest speakers, specialised in the fields of dry stone, traditional crafts, materials and water management practices. The lectures will be held on the evening of 12 October and will be open to the public. They will also be presented to the High School pupils of Amorgos.
The Dry Stone Workshop works, on the site as well as through the lectures and educational activities, aim at promoting the dry stone craft and the importance of dry stone structures in the Cycladic landscape. In particular islands such as Amorgos, which still retain large areas of their wild landscape intact, constitute excellent fields for the implementation of initiatives related to the protection and empowerment of the natural and manmade environment and the traditional practices.
This year, the Dry Stone Workshop will take place next to the field of the project “The History of Water”, which involves the restoration of the water tank adjacent to one of the traditional sources near the village of Langada. This juncture will give us the opportunity to discuss the traditional water management systems, of which terraces along with their dry stone sustaining wallsχτιαwith their dry stone sustaining walls play an important role, as a whole on site.
→ For more information, please contact us:
email@example.com | +30 6932 889003 (Maria) | +30 6944 326036 (Semeli)
The Dry Stone Workshop “The Amorgian Craftsmanship” is realised under the auspices of the Municipality of Amorgos and financed by the Hellenic Ministry of Culture and Sports.
Complete schedule of the Workshop:
8:30 am. Transition to the site for the beginning of the main works and dry stone apprenticeship: Restoration of dry stone structures (sustaining walls) and cobblestone path construction of 70 m length (approximately), on the marked path 4 of the Path Network of Amorgos Island, outside the hamlet of Stroumbos. The site is adjacent to the site of the 1st Dry Stone Workshop “The Amorgian Craftsmanship”, which was held in October 2021
8:30 am Site: Dry stone restoration and construction works / dry stone apprenticeship.
8:30 am Site: Dry stone restoration and construction works / dry stone apprenticeship. Visit of secondary education pupils to the site.
18:00. Local council of Aegiali hall (Langada): Welcome, greetings and lectures (open to the public):
P. Kostoulas, G. Koutropoulos, architects, “Boulouki” itinerant workshop: Water resource management through the participatory projects of the Itinerant Workshop.
- I. Gianniris, former Assistant Professor of the Department of Architecture of the Technical University of Crete, President of the “Green Institute”: Stone as a structural material – history, technological evolution.
- J. Kulušić, D. Mikelić, Ethnologists/Social Anthropologists, 4 Grada Dragodid Association (Croatia): Dry Stone Walling: Revival of forgotten practices in theory and practice (voluntary workshops in CroatiaStone Walling: Revival of forgotten practices in theory and practice (voluntary workshops in Croatia).
8:30 am. Site: Dry stone restoration and construction works / dry stone apprenticeship. Visit of primary school pupils to the site
8:30 am. Site: Dry stone restoration and construction works / dry stone apprenticeship. Completion of the workshop.
18:00. Local council of Aegiali hall (Langada): Closing ceremony, presentation of results, participation certificate award (open to the public).
The Mitato of Amorgos participated in the 5th Islanders’ Forum which was successfully organised by the Cyclades Preservation Fund (CPF) on the island of Paros, from 28 to 30 October 2022. The Forum was attended by 45 participants, representing 30 organisations from 17 islands, ....read more
Νέα επιτυχημένη ολοκλήρωση του Εργαστηρίου Ξερολιθιάς «Η Αμοργιανή Μαστοριά» για δεύτερη συνεχόμενη χρονιά
This year, from 10 to 14 October 2022, three local masons, with the assistance of 35 participants that attended the works on site, have created 14 new cobblestone “kadenes” (steps), with a total length of 33 metres, and restored 10 parts of sustaining dry stone walls, with a total length of 39.30 metres.read more
The Mitato of Amorgos participated and won first prize in the theme of Sustainable Management of Water Resouces with the project “The History of Water”read more
The first Dry Stone Workshop “The Amorgian Craftsmanship” was successfully completed on Friday 15 October 2021. The Workshop was organized in the area of Langada by the Mitato of Amorgos, a group whose goal is the preservation of the natural and cultural environment of Amorgos and the Cyclades in general.read more