Our vision is to maintain alive the special features of the Cycladic culture that the previous generations have passed on, reviving them into a contemporary context. We believe in the absolute compatibility between past, present and future and the enrichment of our everyday life once these separate elements blend in harmony in a creative way.
Amorgos hosts an extensive network of paths and other walking and hiking routes, which history has maintained to an excellent degree. These paths are still used by Amorgian people for their everyday tasks and are accompanied by a wide variety of other manmade creations: dry stone walls, stables, water springs, mitata, storage buildings, chapels, as well as ancient and Byzantine monuments. Our dream is to record the names and history of locations through these routes, to promote the rural monuments, springs and the traditional crafts and small scale production methods still alive along them.
On the other hand, the sea. The Aegean Archipelago. A blue canvas on which man has created early cultural artefacts, merging curiosity with knowledge, self-sufficiency with tradition.
This amazing co-existence of man and nature, history and environment, the mountain and the sea, brings a supreme value to the Amorgian nature and settlements. Measure, harmony, transforming need into creation, adaptation, concepts that have defined life in these harsh locations and have shaped their culture, are visible everywhere around.
Our aim is to promote these elements of island nature and culture, as homage to those that have passed, leaving us their precious heritage and knowledge, as well as a guide for a sustainable future, for a better quality of life for all.
This goal can be realized through activity in fields such as the following:
- Cleaning and maintenance of the path network of Amorgos
- Protection and reuse of dry stone wall terraces
- Empowerment of local crafts and small scale production methods; creation of visitable spaces of primary production
- Reinforcement of local production and local products
- Recording of oral tradition and names of locations
- Recording, revival and conservation of local customs, games and other activities
- Organization and coordination of educational activities, such as workshops, lessons, seminars
- Organization of cultural events, such as concerts, performances, festivals